In my past baking life, I made (over and over again) the original David Leite’s Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie. A very good, classic, no fail cookie. A simple dough that requires not much more than the basics; butter, sugar, eggs, dry ingredients, and chocolate chips. When I found this gluten free version, I immediately headed for the kitchen.
While the dough rests in the fridge (for 36 hours), either in the original mixing bowl or wrapped in plastic wrap – like most doughs, it firms up. I have broken scooper’s via this process (proof here). I’ve learned. Instead, I scoop the dough into their desired shapes, place onto parchment lined baking sheets and cover with plastic wrap. After 36 hours, I bake off a dozen or so, and flash freeze the rest. I have said it before, having cookie dough in the freezer makes my life simpler.
36 Hour Chocolate Chip Cookie – Gluten Free
adapted from Gluten Free Girl and the Chef
yield: 58 cookies
5 ounces | 144 grams | 1 cup sorghum flour
3 1/2 ounces | 100 grams | 1 cup tapioca starch
5 1/2 ounces | 156 grams | 1 cup potato starch
5 1/4 ounces | 148 grams | 1 cup millet flour
1 tablespoon xanthum gum
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
10 ounces | 284 grams | 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
9 ounces | 250 grams | 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
7 ounces | 200 grams | 1 cup maple sugar
2 large, organic eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
12 ounces | 340 grams | 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks (at least 60% cocoa content)
Celtic Sea Salt (for sprinkling)
• line an 11 1/2″ x 17 1/2″ rimmed baking sheet with parchment. set aside.
• in a large bowl, whisk the sorghum, tapioca starch, potato starch, millet flour, xanthum gum, baking soda, baking powder, and Celtic sea salt. set aside.
• in the work bowl of your standing mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and maple sugar until light and fluffy.
• with the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating fully after each egg. add the vanilla and mix to combine.
• with the mixer on low speed, add the flour, 1 cup at a time. mix until all is incorporated, you do not want to over mix your dough.
• add chocolate and mix for 30 seconds.
• using a 1 tablespoon scoop, place cookie dough on prepared baking sheet. cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 36 hours.
• when ready to bake, preheat oven to 350*.
• place dough on parchment lined baking sheets, 2 inches apart. if desired, sprinkle top with Celtic sea salt.
• bake 14 -16 minutes until golden brown.
• let cool on wire rack until cool to the touch. transfer cookies from baking sheet to wire racks, cool completely.
• store in an air tight container, at room temperature for 3 days. however, these are best eaten the day they are baked.
More Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes:
Best Chocolate Chip Cookie – Brave Tart
Chocolate Chip Cookie – My Kitchen Addiction
Sweet + Salty Chocolate Chip Cookie – The Urban Baker
My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie – Eat Live Run