I love making bundt cakes because:
• they can be whipped up in about 10 minutes
• they feed a crowd
• they look “purty”
• they work everytime
• and best of all, you don’t have to run to the store to buy ingredients. pantry items will do!
When I was called to duty to bake a little something for a school meeting, I turned to a trusty favorite, scoured my refrigerator for leftovers(in this case; sour cream) and put myself to work. This cake baked while I fed my family dinner and was cooled and packaged up before I went to bed that night.
This particular cake is not only simple in task, but simple in taste. Sometimes you just gotta keep it simple, not over think it and just get the job done!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 3/4 cups sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1 Tbls. vanilla
2 Tbp cake flour, sifted
2 Tbsp. honey
• preheat oven to 325*. grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan
• sift both flours, baking soda, and salt. set aside
• combine sour cream, vanilla, and honey in a small bowl. set aside.
• in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar for about 10 minutes until light and creamy.
• add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
• reduce mixer speed and add the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture, alternating. beginning and ending with the flour mixture. spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
• bake 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
• cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. remove cake from pan and let cool on wire rack until room temperature.
• dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving.
I used a slightly smaller bundt pan, thus having extra batter. I spooned additional batter into mini bundts and baked them for about 25 minutes. The kids and their friends (had a house full of boys that particular day) devoured them!
Print This Post
More great Bundt Cakes:
Mocha Walnut Marbled Bundt Cake – Food Librarian
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake – Tow Peas and their Pod
Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake – Joy the Baker
Blueberry Lemon Bundt Cake – My Baking Addicition