A few months back I was listening Martha Stewart radio on Sirius (I happen to love to talk radio, and 80% of their content is fun and informative). Dave Lieberman, was on the program talking about his new book, The 10 Things you Need to Eat. I was a huge fan of his when he had a show on the food network and although he has been off air for some time, I continue to be inspired by his recipes.
I came into the segment midway through and when I realized it was Dave talking, I called the radio station and asked what the heck they were talking about. I was conviently parked at Sports Chalet picking up some stuff for the kids. I zipped through the store and made a bee line for Borders. I bought the book on the spot. No need to thumb through it, I knew what I was getting myself into.
I have always liked quinoa, but it didn’t seem to like me. It always came out too wet. Dave solved that problem by sharing his discovery. Cook quinoa with 1 part quinoa to 1 1/4 part water. Rather than 1 to 2 as the package suggests. Works like a charm. I was instantly drawn to his recipe for Creamy Breakfast Oats and Quinoa. Making the quinoa in advance and having it stored in the fridge allows me to make this breakfast cereal a few times a week.
A great yoga class and a big bowl of this is my favorite way to start the day.
Creamy Breakfast Oats + Quinoa
adapted from The 10 Things You Need To Eat
yield: 2 servings
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 Tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Celtic sea salt – a pinch
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
3/4 cup whole oats (gluten free)
• in a small saucepan, bring the milk, honey, cinnamon, + salt to a simmer over medium heat.
• add the quinoa (I keep a big batch of it in the fridge and it lasts all week) and the oats. add some dried cherries(I do!)
• cook until mixture is thick and creamy, about 7-10 minutes.
• also, once cooked, you can add some fresh blueberries, slivered almonds, or whatever strikes your fancy.
• this is a breakfast addiction!
* note: if you get the book, make the Quinoa & Chickpea Falafel balls. Truly, the best!