When I was first married, I used to make this big chocolate chip cookie cake with bittersweet chocolate chips and Chambourd(a raspberry liquor). I completely forgot about that recipe until I read about a similar recipe at Almost Bourdain. She made a Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookie Cake and it took me back 25 years and reminded me that I needed to add something like this to my repertoire. I have made this for friends as a big, over sized cookie, but my kids prefer it is in little, individual size cups. These are great for a crowd and one recipe makes about 48 peanut butter cookie cups.
adapted from here
yield: one 9″ cake or 48 mini cupsingredients:
3 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
2 oz. natural, smooth peanut butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup( oz) whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup salted peanuts, roughly chopped
• preheat oven to 350*. Butter a 9″ spring form pan and then line the bottom with parchment paper. butter the parchment paper and set aside. or, line 48 mini muffin tins with paper liners.
• in a small bowl, whisk the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
• in the bowl of a standing mixer, cream the butter, peanut butter, and dark brown sugar, on medium speed. scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
• add the egg and vanilla and mix well. add the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
• with a wooden spoon, mix in the two chocolates and the peanuts.
• if you are making one big cake, spread teh batter into the prepared pan. bake until light golden on top, 28 – 34 minutes. when cool, I like to cut into wedges and serve with a scoop of homemade ice cream.
• using a small (2 teaspoon) ice cream scooper, fill mini paper lined muffin tins with cookie dough. bake 12-14 minutes, until golden on top.
• for both methods, let cool completely.
note: when I make the peanut butter cups, I flash freeze the dough balls, on parchment lined baking sheets. once frozen, I put in an air tight container. when ready to bake, line mini muffin tins with paper liners and drop the frozen dough inside the cups. bake for 16-20 minutes. no need to thaw out the dough.
You want more Peanut Butter?
Classic Peanut Butter Cookie – Delightful Repast
Peanut Butter Chocolate Bar - Gluten Free Confessions
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups – This Homemade Life
Gluten Free Peanut Butter + Chocolate Chip Cookies – Deliciously Organic