In my car, I generally listen to Martha Stewart Living Radio on Sirius. Religiously, I listen to Jennifer Hutt on Just Jenny Radio – I love her! If you drive by my house between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m. on any given weekday, you may see me sitting in my car, in my driveway, laughing out loud. Thanks to Sirius radio, Jenn and I have become friends, not only is she hysterically funny and brilliantly smart, and even though she talks for a living, she is a great listener and a valuable friend.
I also like the morning shows. At the beginning of summer, I was listening to Fany Gerson talk about her heritage, her culture and how she started creating and selling Paletas and Aqua Fresca’s at local farmer’s markets in NYC. I liked her energy and I was engaged. When I got home, I immediately ran to my computer and googled her. I wrote her an email and told her that I had just listened to her on the radio and I was putting her new book, Paletas, on my wish list.
Through several emails, she offered to send me a book. I was overcome with joy. When the book arrived, I tore open the packaging and starting earmarking my pages. Over the last two months, I made the paletas de fresa(strawberry ice pops), paletas de coco rapidas (quick coconut ice pops), and the paletas de chocolate (chocolate ice pops). Unfortunately, they disappeared before I could photograph them.
I just made a batch of Paletas de yogurt con moras(yogurt ice pops with berries). As you can see from my recent posts, I am loading up the freezer with easy to prepare breakfast and after school, healthy snacks. The combination of greek yogurt and fresh, organic berries not only gives the kids a healthy, nutritionally balanced snack, but it makes them feel as though they are getting a decadent treat. I would have loved to have come home to a paleta when I was in grade school.
Fany was so gracious and appreciative of my email that she offeres to giveaway a copy of her book, Paletas. To win a copy of this beautifully written and photographed book, do any or all of the suggestions below.
Yogurt Ice Pops with Blueberry Puree
yield: 12 pops(in small paper cups)
1 1/2 cups plain, greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 lemon, peeled
1/2 cup blueberries
• put the water and sugar in a small, heavy duty pot. bring to a boil, and stir until sugar is dissolved. simmer for 5 minutes.
• peel the lemon and put the peel into the simple syrup(the water sugar mixutre). let steep for 5 minutes.
• strain the lemon sugar and place in the fridge until completely cool.
• while the lemon sugar is cooling, combine the yogurt and honey in a mini food chopper and pulse 10 times. set aside.
• to make the blueberry puree, in a small, heavy duty pan, combine the blueberries with 2 tablespoons of water and bring to a boil. when the blueberries start to pop, remove from the heat. let cool.
• when cool, puree in a mini chopper.
• strain lemon peels from simple syrup. add to yogurt mixture.
• fill small cups or molds 1/3 of the way with yogurt mixture. put in freezer for about 45 minutes.
• remove and pour a few tablespoons of the blueberry mixture on top of the semi frozen yogurt. swirl slightly with a skewer. let freeze for 20 minutes.
• top the semi frozen pops with the rest of the yogurt mixture, filling almost to the top of the cup. freeze completely, about 3 hours.
• unmold and store in an airtight container or eat right away!
Print This Post
How to Enter
You have until Monday, September 12th, 12 midnight PST to enter this giveaway. The Winner will be chosen via random.org and will have 2 days to respond or a new winner will be selected. U.S.A. residents only.
You can enter multiple times by leaving a separate comment for each of the following steps listed below:
• tell me what your favorite frozen treat is….or what you would make if you had this book.
• go to Fany’s facebook page and become her friend.
• go to The Urban Baker’s facebook page and become my friend
• tweet about this giveaway. make up one of your own or tweet this sample message: pls RT @theurbanbaker has a copy of @Fany Gerson’s Paletas #giveaway. Fresh fruit pops, a great after school snack http://is.gd/W2pZqV
• follow @therubanbaker on Twitter
• follow Fany Gerson on Twitter
• sugn up for my RSS feeds and receive my blog posts each week
• Stumble this post and follow me (and see who I follow) @theurbanbaker on StumbleUpon.