When summer roles around, I am in need of a much needed break from my daily routine. With that said, I do love routine; I meal plan, time manage my days, and don’t really like when a wrench is thrown into my day.
Summer is an opportunity for me to relax a little. Dinners are way more causal and the occasional “do-it yourself” sandwich bar may show up on the kitchen counter leaving everyone to fend for themselves. The barbecue becomes my favorite household appliance and eating al fresco is a nightly affair. During the summer months, I do everything on the barbecue; roasted salsa, pizza, potatoes, fish, stone fruit, and the usual suspects of chicken, beef, sausage, and fish.
BBQ drumsticks are an easy meal. Paired with roasted “garlic bread” broccoli(the first time I made this, the kids named it), and some sliced melon, no one leaves the table hungry. Plus, clean-up is a breeze! Hint: make extras, leftovers are a must!
Lemon + Garlic Barbecue Drumsticks
3 ounces | 6 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
zest from 3 lemons
3 tablespoons chopped, fresh oregano
2 tablespoons chopped thyme
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Celtic sea salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
24 drumsticks, organic
• combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large, glass bowl. add chicken and mix to coat and cover with plastic wrap.
• marinate for up to 2 days. remove from the fridge 1 hour before cooking to bring to room temperature.
• prepare barbecue (gas or charcoal).
• grill drumsticks over indirect heat to avoid burning. turn after 25 minutes and repeat on the other side. we cook our drumsticks anywhere from 40 – 55 minutes.
Garlic Bread Roasted Broccoli
• 1 – 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
pinch of red pepper flakes
zest of one lemon
• preheat oven to 375*. coat a rimmed baking sheet with a little bit of olive oil (I use my hands to cover the pan).
• place broccoli in the pan. pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil onto broccoli. using your hands, coat the broccoli. sprinkle with Celtic sea salt and pepper. using your hands one last time, coat all the broccoli.
• bake for 25 – 35 minutes or until the broccoli starts to turn golden, but not burnt.
• while the broccoli is roasting, combine, garlic, remaining olive oil, Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and lemon zest in a large bowl. whisk to combine.
• when broccoli is ready, toss immediately in the garlic paste mixture.
• serve warm.Print This Post