I have been testing various lemon desserts. When I found this one on Tastespotting, I was immediately attracted to it. Why you ask? Because this particular lemon “bar” does not require making a curd. No curd, you say. I am IN!. With that said, this recipe took 20 minutes to assemble. And 20 minutes is the perfect amount of time when uninvited guest show up at your door, on a weeknight! This is being added to my repertoire and I am insisting that it is added to yours as well!
adapted from here
yield: 12 slices
1 cup plus 2 Tbls. flour
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbls. icing sugar
8 Tbls. cold, unsalted butter, cubed
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. baking powder
pinch of sea salt
• preheat oven to 350*
• in a small bowl combine 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup icing sugar. cut in the butter until it resembles coarse meal ( i used my food processor). press evenly into the bottom of an un-greased 8″ round pan. poke holes with a fork.
• bake about 15 minutes, until light golden. remove from oven and set aside
• in the work bowl of an electric mixer,beat the eggs until frothy. add the sugar. add the lemon zest and the lemon juice, beat at high speed for 10 minutes. the mixture should be smooth and thick.
• mix the flour and the baking
• in a bowl, combine the baking powder, salt and 2 Tbls. of flour and gradually add in the egg mixture.
• pour into the baked crust and bake for about 20-25 minutes until set and lightly browned. cool on a wire rack. when cool, sift with powdered sugar, cut into wedges and eat!
Print This Post