Not using my oven is a big problem for the dessert loving boys that I happen to live with. There is only so much ice cream one can make and berries dipped in homemade chocolate sauce doesn’t always satisfy the sweet tooth. The question is; what can I make for Shabbat dinner, including dessert that didn’t require me turning on my oven.
I am not fond of a no bake pie. I like most desserts cooked and sometimes, the more well done the better. So, in order to beat the heat, give my family the dessert they deserve for tonight’s Shabbat dinner, and to celebrate “National S’mores Day”, I have whipped up a sweet treat that both young and old will devour.
Grabbing a bag of gluten free graham cracker crumbs from the freezer, and a block of Scharffen Berger chocolate, I got to work before the mid morning sun heated up my kitchen. If you want something quick, easy, using only pantry staples, this is the dessert for you. A little bit of advice; don’t omit the coffee granules – in my opinion, it makes the whole pie. And one more thing…invite some friends over. Otherwise you may be tempted to eat the whole thing all by your little, old self!
Gluten Free “No Bake” Mocha S’mores Pie
original recipe here
yield: 1 9″ pie, 10 – 12 servings
gluten free graham cracker crust:
7 1/2 ounces | 210 grams | 1 1/2 cups gluten free graham cracker crumbs
1 1/4 ounces | 34 grams | 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 3/8 ounces | 38 grams | 2 tablespoons chunky almond butter
1 ounce | 27 grams | 2 tablespoons homemade chocolate syrup
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
12 ounces | 340 grams | 2 3/4 cups bittersweet chocolate, chopped
10 ounces | 290 grams | 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, organic
2 tablespoons ground coffee beans
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
for the graham cracker crust:
• mix all ingredients in a large class bowl.
• press the mixture into a metal, 9″ pie dish. have the crumbs come all the way up the sides.
• freeze crust for 20 minutes.
for the ganache:
• place chocolate and butter in a large glass bowl. set aside.
• in a small saucepan, bring cream, coffee, and 2 tablespoons of water to a boil.
• remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes.
• place a fine mesh strainer lined with cheese over a medium sized glass bowl. strain cream mixture.
• pour warm cream over chocolate. stir until melted and all the ganache does not show any physical chunks of chocolate.
• pour ganache into prepared pie crust.
• chill in the fridge for at least an hour or until ganache is set.
for the meringue:
• place egg whites in the work bowl of your electric mixer. using the whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium to high speed until frothy and light in color.
• add two tablespoons of sugar to egg white mixture. do not stop the mixer from beating the egg whites. repeat until, adding 2 tablespoons of sugar at a time until all the sugar has been added.
• continue to beat until the whites are stiff and glossy.
• place meringue in a pastry bag fitted with desired tip. pipe meringue over mocha ganache.
• using a kitchen torch, create a toasted and golden brown look.
More S’mores around the Web:
S’mores in a Jar – Some Kitchen Stories
S’mores Cupcakes – The Urban Baker
Baked S’mores – Savory Sweet Life
Chocolate S’mores Pops – Love from the Oven
Gluten Free S’mores Cookie Bars – The Urban Baker