Using the white part of the leeks(saving the green part for my homemade stock), and left over mashed potatoes, I am proud to say that I can feed my family of five(with leftovers for lunch the next day) for about ten bucks. I am working on accomplishing that task most nights. Making wholesome meals, using fresh ingredients for a few dollars makes me happy and giddy. I cannot wait to share more of my “happy meals” with you.
yield: 6-8 servings
1 1/2 pound ground, organic sirloin
2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped fine
2 Tbsp. ketchup, preferably homemade
1/2 cup vegetable stock, preferably homemade
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup leeks, rinsed and chopped
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
1/3 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup celery, chopped
1/4 organic peas, frozen
2 Tbsp. arrowroot
2 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 tsp. black, ground pepepr
2-3 cups mashed potatoes
• preheat oven to 425 degrees.
• heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. add 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil and add the meat. break it up with the back of spoon and cook for 4 minutes or until it looses it’s pink color. remove to a clean bowl.
• heat the remaining tablespoon of grapeseed oil and add the onions and leeks. saute for 5 minutes. add the carrots and the celery and saute until starting to soften, 5 minutes. add garlic and stir for one minute.
• add meat to the vegetables and stir to combine. add the rosemary, ketchup, peas, salt, and pepper. stir to combine.
• add the arrowroot and stir. add the vegetable stock and cook for about 3 minutes or until the liquid has thickened. taste for seasonings.
• lightly butter a ceramic baking dish. spoon meat mixture into prepared dish. spoon mashed potatoes over beef. cut 2 tablespoons of butter into small chunks. dot the top of the potato mixture with the butter.
• put baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment. bake for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes start to turn light brown. serve immediately.
More One Pot Casserole Comforts:
Baked Pineapple Casserole – Ezra Pound Cake
Kale and Feta Breakfast Casserole – Kalyns Kitchen
Chicken Enchiladas – The Urban Baker
Roasted Butternut Squash Casserole – Evil Shenanigans
Chicken Spanish Rice Casserole – Better Recipes