June Gloom = comfort food. As much as I want to start grilling, do the Mediterranean thing, eat clean, the weather outside just isn’t cutting it. Instead, whipped up some mac ‘n cheese. I have made numerous mac ‘n cheese recipes over the years. Some good, some not so good. This one is GOOD! Again, another winner from Saveur. I changed it a bit, the end result was creamy, savory and one of the best mac’s we have ever eaten.
Four Cheese Baked Macaroni + Cheese
original recipe from Saveur (here)
yield: 8-10 servings
8 oz. brown rice noodles
3 slices of crust less stale bread(gluten free)
6 Tablespoons. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. paprika
2 shallots, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup gluten free AP flour
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 cups milk
7 oz grated Gruyere
10 oz. English, white cheddar, grated
6 oz. grated extra sharp cheddar
1 oz. goat cheese
kosher salt and pepper
• pre heat oven to 375*
• bring a 4-quart sauce pan of water to a boil. add a big pinch of kosher salt. add noodles and cook until cooked halfway – about 3 minutes. drain and set aside.
• tear bread, and process in food processor. process until ground. set a small sauce pan over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of butter. add bread crumbs and stir until combined. set aside.
• in another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add the paprika, shallots, bay leaf; cook until shallots are soft. add flour and cayenne and stir until thick. whisk in milk and cook until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. remove pan from the heat.
• stir in the white, English cheddar, 5 oz of Gruyere, extra sharp cheddar and the goat cheese, stir until smooth. stir in the pasta and season with salt and pepper. transfer mixture to a buttered oval baking dish. sprinkle the top with the remaining Gruyere and then top with the bread crumbs.
• place baking pan on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake until golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
• let rest for 10 minutes before serving.