I don’t overbook my kids. Isaac is doing spring baseball which practices two days a week. Both Eli and Isaac have Hebrew school one day a week, and Levi generally goes along for the ride. For the most part, we come home after school, have a healthy snack, do homework and play a little tackle football on the front lawn.
On those rare days when we race home from school, create chaos in order to get to the next thing, I like my kids to have a healthy snack. Some days it’s nachos using organic chips and organic cheddar with chopped jalapenos, others it fruit smoothies and some sliced turkey roll ups, and this past week, I made mini sliders using ground, organic chicken.
A few months back, I had found some whole wheat slider buns at Whole Foods. I didn’t see them again, until the other day. I snatched them up and picked up some really good pickles. I slathered the buns with my homemade ketchup(recipe to come) and served these to my boys with some apple slices. These are tasty and the kids didn’t miss the beef.
Chicken Burger Sliders
yield 9 sliders
1 lb. ground, organic, dark meat chicken
2 egg whites
1 tsp. water
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. dried bread crumbs
3 Tbsp. grated white onion
3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. herbs de Provence
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
• make a paste with the egg whites, water, bread crumbs, parsley, onion, garlic, sea salt, cumin, and the herbs de provence.
• add the chicken and mix with a fork. don’t over mix.
• shape into small, little patties. line a plate with wax paper. put patties on the plate and refrigerate for 3o minutes.
• heat grill pan. using a paper towel, rub the coconut oil over the grill pan. when pan is good and hot, place sliders on the pan cook until you see heavy grill marks. flip and cook until completely done.
• place on buns, serve, eat! Enjoy!
Print This Post
More Burgers and Bites: