Last week I was asked to make desserts for on of my favorite stores, DL Rhein. Deborah, the owner, was hosting a pop-up shop for another one of my favorite people, Heather Bradley of Bradley Beauty. Heather is not only an amazing esthetician and skin care guru, but she is one of those highly intuitive, spiritual beings.
As this was an event for ladies, I didn’t want to make anything that was going to turn people off as I know how everyone is conscious of what they put in their body. Throughout Passover, I turned to Elana’s Pantry for inspiration. She does not cook with any gluten and she has made it her vocation to create wonderful, tasty meals that are every bit as good as the one’s with gluten in them. These cupcakes were the perfect choice for this group of ladies.
The yield on her recipe was for 10 regular size muffins. I needed way more than that, so I used these cute little paper liners, making them kind of in between a true mini and a regular size cupcake. I topped them with my cream cheese frosting and then sprinkled them with a bit of crystallized ginger. Eli ate two. He said they were great. After the fact I told him they were gluten free. He gave them the thumbs up!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes – Gluten Free
adapted from here
yield: 36 bigger than minis
1 ½ cups almond flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
¼ cup agave nectar
1 ½ cups carrots, grated
½ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
(the best part about this recipe=no mixer!)
• preheat oven to 325*. line 36 mini muffin tins with pleated paper liners
• on a small baking sheet, spread pecans in an even layer. toast for 8-12 minutes. set aside to cool
• in a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon
• in another bowl, mix together eggs, oil, and agave nectar
• stir carrots and pecans into wet ingredients
• stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just incorporated
• using a 1 1/2 tablespoon ice cream scoop, place batter into paper lined cupcake pan
• bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes
• cool to room temperature on wire racks.
• frost with cream cheese frosting. sprinkle with crystalized, chopped ginger(optional)