My friend Jo ( Mylastbite) came over for lunch last week. Jo is the ULTIMATE foodie and has eaten in every restaurant across the globe. In addition, she rubs elbows with 90% of the top Los Angeles chefs and confidently calls them her friends!
I wasn’t going to serve Jo a “sissy” salad. Jo likes to eat and I wanted something that was going to stick to her ribs. I have been coveting a recipe for Bacon Tomato Hash. After reading the ingredients (the best kind, 6 ingredients), I was reminded of one of my favorite sandwiches; a BLT with Avocado!
The end result was perfection. The “BLT bruschetta” was a huge hit. Not only with Jo, but with my boys. This recipe, with or without the avocado, is a keeper!
BLT + Avocado Bruschetta
originally from Nigella Lawson
yield 2 servings
1 tsp. olive oil
5 pieces antibiotic free bacon (I used applegate farms)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large beef steak tomato
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3-4 Tbls. fresh parsley, chopped
a few grindings of fresh, cracked pepper
1 french baguette
1 ripe avocado
• preheat oven to 350*. cut french bread, on an angle, and set on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. brush, lightly, with olive oil.
• heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. when the oil is hot, add the chopped bacon and cook until crispy. I drained a little of the bacon fat. when the bacon is done, add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire, and the parsley (save a little to sprinkle on top).
• while the tomatoes cook, put the bread in the oven (5 minutes)
• transfer bacon mixture to a bowl and season with pepper.
• mash the avocado
• spread the mashed avocado onto the bread. sprinkle a little salt onto the avocado. top with the hash and enjoy!!!
Print This Post
I served this with a simple side salad and some mint infused iced green tea! After we ate, Jo taught me the art of “Twittering”. When Jo left, I sat in front of the computer for 2 hours, and became addicted to “tweet deck”. I’m in trouble!